Emily Nagoski. no idea who she is, but i thank her. there is no excuse for rape and anyone who excuses it is insulting both the victim and the rapist. (via rapeisnotajoke)
There are two arguments I’ve noticed
So basically we have to prepare ourselves all the time, but if we ever give a man the sense that we view them as a misogynistic/violent threat - that’s unfair
Cunt: A Declaration of Independence. (via ratsandcandy666)
And as I’ve read, now and maybe always, sometimes men as well.
I remember reading testimonials from veterans from… I believe Vietnam - who were horrified at the monster they became during wartime and how much they dehumanized, pillages and raped entire villages. If i find excerpts i’ll send them along…
More accurate statistics on the global gender gap, courtesy of natures-song
Hey ya’ll - I’ll be heading out of town to Kenya in a few weeks where I’ll be able to pick up a lot of tokens of appreciation (statutes, jewelry, t-shirts, paintings!) bought to support local Kenyans who are trying to support themselves.
Please take the time to donate if you can! I will be bringing some stuff back to sell online, but going to the markets with a better idea in mind of what to bring back would be awesome.
As you may already know, I serve on the board of directors for a nonprofit known as SAFER. It has been an honour to volunteer for and help run this organization for two years. Each board member makes a commitment to raise money for this awesome org each year and I have been unable to meet my commitments the past two years.
Please help me make my goal this year.
I am lucky enough that they have still let me serve on the board despite providing near non-existent financial contributions, but I also want to give in other ways. If you can, please consider donating through Paypal or Google Checkout.
I also want to stress that I will personally give a token of my appreciation to every person who donates.
I will be visiting my family in Kenya next month (August), so I would be more than happy to pick up write you a postcard, a letter, send you jewelry, send you a painting, etc.
I also would be more than happy to write you a blog post regarding a topic of your liking. Everyone will get a personal token of appreciation from me!
Thanks to everyone for being such a great supporter, even if you cannot donate. :) Feel free to reblog to spread the word!
Raise money for a great cause and get a little big of Kenyan culture too? Any little bit counts!
A resource for all student activists who want to make change on their campuses. Valuable resource.
…constantly citing that 1 in 6 women are raped without ever specifying
- 1 in 3 Native/First Nations women are raped, and 80+% of the time by non-Native (almost exclusively white) men - and the cases are almost never even investigated.
- The rates of rape of women crossing the border into the U.S. are so high that anecdotal evidence is that it is EXPECTED, but no actual statistics can be found online to address this issue. Searching for “rape statistics for immigrants” or “rape statistics for migrants” brings up only articles debating whether immigration effects overall crime rates. This ERASES the sexual exploitation and common assaults on women coming into the country.
- Rape of non-white openly lesbian, queer and transgender individuals is significantly higher than the “1 in 6” but actual statistics are difficult to come by. So-called “corrective rape” is not something that only happens in “uncivilized”/”backwards”/”Third World” countries.
- Transgender individuals are at significantly higher risk of rape by law enforcement and immigration officials.
- Contrary to assumptions, Black men, while disproportionately present in the criminal justice system and more likely to be wrongfully convicted/serve a harsher sentence for crimes, are not anywhere near a significant rape threat as they are portrayed to be.
- In the U.S. 1 in 4 college women, and 1 in 5 high school women are raped and 44% of reported rape victims are under the age of 18, while 80% are under the age of 30. It’s bloody dangerous to be young.
- 99% of people who rape are men, 60% are Caucasian. 35% of men report at least some degree of likelihood of raping if they could be assured they wouldn’t be caught or punished.
- “In one study, 98% of men who raped boys reported that they were heterosexual.” i.e., there is NO correlation between being gay/queer and pedophilia.