For the person who asked about feminist-friendly movies/TV shows, here are some of my favorites.
- Boys on the Side
- The Color Purple
- Mulan (Some problems, but it’s a classic; I wouldn’t be a feminist without it)
- Wonder Woman (the latest 2009 cartoon version. Again, some problems, but c’mon, it’s Wonder Woman!)
- Friend Green Tomatoes
- Itty Bitty Titty Committee (this one is a borderline satire, but still awesome)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Prime Suspect
- Once Upon a Time (A bit hokey, but the diverse range of women is notable. Plus, Snow White, duh.)
Uhhh those are all off the top of my head, but I’m a huge media fanatic, so I’ve got plenty somewhere lodged in my mind.
Thoughts? While these may be “feminist friendly” where does intersectionality issues pop up in the media? What shows also tackle race & class? What things should/shouldn’t be on the list?